Putting up with dry skin is a sheer curse that most women have to deal with. And managing dry skin on the face and body is not a cakewalk. Whilst dermatologists are the first obvious rescue that pops up in all sane heads, not everyone has enough fortune to spend on such expensive treatments. Which is why we have worked up a small list of some of the best home remedies for dry skin to put you out of misery. Our dry skin remedies are inexpensive skin managing solutions that can keep your skin plush in all seasons. But before giving you a taste of the dry skin home remedies, we find it necessary that you have an idea about all the possible causes for dry skin.
What Causes Dry Skin?
Winter season is the first siren that pulls the skin out of its safety cocoon. And trust us when we say this, no matter your skin type is normal or oily, you’re equally in danger and can develop dry skin patches on the face just like dry skin does. The most obvious dry skin causes, other than winter season, include the following.
- Dry wind during the winter season
- Ammonia-based chemically loaded skin care products
- Excessive use of makeup
- Hot water bath
- Hormonal imbalance
- Improper moisturization
- Eczema and psoriasis
Check out the list of best face primers for dry skin!
3 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Dry Skin On Face
When the water content in your skin is juiced out, the dehydrated skin becomes unbearably rough and painful. Topical moisturization is not enough to repair the damage of such magnitude. As long as your skin hasn’t started bleeding, you can relax and follow the home remedies for dry skin that we have complied to heal your skin naturally at home.
1) Coconut Oil Home Remedy For Dry Skin
Coconut oil conceals skin-nourishing vitamin E that works wonders for dry and patchy skin. You can massage your face with warm coconut oil every night.
However, in places that experience northern cold, coconut oil massage may not be enough. To keep your face soft despite such cold, you need a homemade natural moisturizer for dry skin.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3-5 drops of almond oil
- Half tsp shea butter
Steps To Make And Apply Coconut Oil Moisturizer On Dry Skin Patches
- Take a deep pan and heat the 3 ingredients, in the exact same ratio, on flame for 5 minutes.
- Apply rose water on the skin for 5 minutes before using the moisturizer.
- Start massaging the face with the warm moisturizer.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Use a soft and moist cotton ball and gently wipe it off.
- Once cleaned, apply fresh aloe gel on the face to cover the skin.
- It is best used at night. You can also use it twice a day as a moisturizer for extra dry skin.
Why Is Coconut Oil And Shea Moisturizer One Of The Best Home Remedies For Very Dry Skin?
Coconut oil and almond oil have the combined strength of antioxidants that remove all skin-dehydrating toxins and free radicals. This helps in repairing all painful cracks. Shea butter adds moisture to the epidermal cells, making the baby skin.
2) Honey, Milk Cream, Almond Oil, And Glycerine Face Mask For Dry Skin
Dry skin does not accept facials so easily. Thus, you can use homemade dry skin face masks to add a glow to your skin naturally, without causing any harm.
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp milk cream
- 3-5 drops of glycerine
- 3-5 drops of almond oil
- 1 orange peel
Steps To Make And Use Honey And Milk Cream Facial At Home For Dry Skin
- Mix honey and milk cream in a bowl.
- Add warm almond oil and glycerine to the mixture and stir well.
- Gently massage your face with orange peel for 5-10 minutes.
- Apply the face mask and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Use warm water and gently massage the mask on the face.
- Let it rest for 5-10 minutes and wash it with lukewarm water.
- Apply aloe vera gel to cover the skin.
What Makes Honey And Milk Cream Face Mask One Of The Best Natural Remedies For Dry Skin?
Glycerin can repair very deep cracks by seeping within the skin cells and nourishing them from the inside. Honey is a moisturizer and an antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and an antiseptic agent. Thus, it removes skin irritation. Milk cream contains lactic acid that restores the dry skin’s pH level to normal. And almond oil makes the epidermal cells smooth.
Also read on the ample benefits of milk for skin!
3) Oats, Ginger, And Honey Home Remedy For Dry Skin
The oatmeal and ginger face pack for dry skin is a unique way to naturally cure dry skin at home. It is one of the best 2-in-1 home remedies for dry skin on face in summer season as well as mild winters.
- One bowl boiled oatmeal
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp ginger water
Steps To Make And Apply Oatmeal and Ginger Home Remedy for Dry Skin On Face
- Grind 1 bowl boiled oatmeal in a mixer to make a fine paste.
- Add some ginger flakes in half glass water and let it boil.
- Add the water with ginger flakes in a mixer and grind them.
- Now mix the oatmeal paste with 1 tsp ginger water and 1 tsp honey, and mix well.
- You can also simply crush ginger flakes and filter the residue to add just ginger juice in the oatmeal paste.
- Apply on clean face and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Massage the face using warm water for 5 minutes.
- Wash the paste with lukewarm water after 5 more minutes.
- Immediately cover your face with a glycerin moisturizer.
Why Is Oatmeal And Ginger Face Mask an Effective Home Remedy For Dry Skin?
Oatmeal is an exceptional hydrating agent. It is also rich in protein. The protein in oatmeal imparts strength to the natural skin protein, called as collagen. The now strong collagen starts producing new, plush, and hydrated skin cells to get rid of the dry ones. Plus, ginger contains gingerol that treats inflammation caused due to dry cracks. Nonetheless, this dry skin home remedy is also safe for women putting up with extra dry skin caused by disorders like eczema.
2 Home Remedies For Dry Skin Patches On Oily Skin
Dry skin home remedies are different than the ones that are used by women having oily skin, yet suffering from dryness. This is because the skincare routine and nourishment requirement of dry skin and oily skin are very different from each other. Thus, the following 2 dry skin patches on face home remedies are exclusively for women with oily skin.
Check out these beauty tips for oily skin!
4) Lemon Juice, Turmeric Powder, And Green Tea Home Remedy For Dry Skin Patches On Oily Skin
This home remedy for dry skin patches is one of the best skin-management treatments that are suitable for all seasons.
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- A pinch of raw turmeric powder
- 1 tsp warm green tea
- ½ tsp colorless henna (optional)
Steps To Make And Apply The Lemon and Turmeric Home Remedy For Dry Skin Patches
- Squeeze a lemon and place 1 tsp fresh juice in a bowl.
- Add 1 tsp warm green tea and a pinch of turmeric in the bowl and mix well.
- You can add ½ tsp color henna to the mixture in case you’re experiencing any inflammation due to dryness. Henna will calm down the inflamed and irritated cells, reducing soreness and pain.
Why Is The Lemon And Turmeric Home Remedy For Dry Skin Patches On Face So Effective?
Lemon, to begin with, is an astringent that controls oil formation and weakens the acne-causing bacteria. Raw turmeric is an antiseptic agent, rich in curcumin. Curcumin cures dryness, inflammation, and itching, and lightens dark spots. Green tea cleanses the dead skin to make space for new plump cells, giving you a matte complexion.
Here’s why you should be using lemon on face!
5) Green Tea, Honey, Yogurt, and Papaya Home Remedy For Dry Skin Patches on Oily Skin
This is one powerful overall skin grooming home remedy that cures dryness and dullness caused due to pollution and aging.
- 1 tbsp mashed papaya pulp
- 1 tsp green tea and ½ tsp honey
- 1 tsp yogurt
Steps To Make And Apply the Green Tea and Papaya Home Remedy For Dry Skin Patches On Face
- Add all the above-listed ingredients in a bowl.
- Grind them in a mixer to make a paste with semi-liquid consistency.
- Apply on clean face and wear for 20 minutes.
- Clean with lukewarm water while massaging it on the face.
- Use once or twice each day for a month to rejuvenate your skin.
Why Is The Green Tea and Papaya Home Remedy For Dry Skin Patches On Face So Effective?
Papaya that contains papain and green tea that contains catechins, hydrate shrunken skin cells, remove germs and bacteria, and balance the pH level. It heals dry skin patches. Yogurt moisturizes the epidermal layer of the skin and honey, that contains vitamin E, moisturizes the deeper skin layers.
2 Home Remedies For Dry Skin On Feet
The skin on feet is the third most sensitive part, after lips and face, that is affected due to dry wind and weather changes. Thus, we have compiled a list of 2 effective home remedies for very dry skin on feet. These dry skin home remedies can also be used to treat peeling elbows and knees.
6) Apple Cider Vinegar And Sandalwood Powder Home Remedy For Cracked Heels
Apple cider vinegar is a medically proven home remedy for dry skin on feet that can reduce pain and inflammation caused due to cracked heels, eliminate bad feet odor, and kill toenail fungus. We have mentioned 2 ways to use it below.
- Mix about 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar in 3 liters warm water. Soak your feet in it every day for 30 minutes. Dry them with a towel and cover them with a thick moisturizing lotion.
- You can mix 1 tsp sandalwood powder and 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar to form a paste. Apply this homemade paste on cracked heels and wash off with warm water. Use it once every morning for a month for best results.
7) Banana And Honey Home Remedy to Get Rid of Dry Skin On Feet
Honey is an antiseptic and cleansing agent that flushes germs out of the cracked heels. It moisturizes the cracks and reduces inflammation, pain, and soreness. Banana moisturizes the dry feet skin, triggers the formation of baby soft fresh cells, and hydrates cells to make them plump.
Steps To Make And Apply The Banana And Honey Home Remedy For Dry Skin On Feet
- Mash 1 banana to form a fine paste.
- Add 1 tsp honey to the paste and stir until the two blends properly.
- You can add some rose water to dilute the thickness of the paste.
- Clean your feet with an antiseptic soap.
- Apply the mask on the feet (especially within the cracks on the heels).
- Wrap them with a warm and moist towel.
- Soak your feet in warm water after 20 minutes.
- Once the feet are cleaned off the mask, apply thick aloe based moisturizer.
- Use twice each day for best results.
2 Natural Remedies For Dry Skin On Feet
Other than the long-term home remedies for dry skin on feet, we also have a list of 3 quick fix natural remedies for dry skin on feet for a speedy recovery.
8) Vinegar Water Natural Remedy For Dry Skin On Feet
This is a quick fix natural remedy for women with very dry feet skin.
Steps To Follow:
- Mix 1 tbsp vinegar in 2 liters of warm water.
- Soak your feet in the solution for 20 minutes every night.
- Apply shea moisturizer to see the results within a week.
9) Natural Heel Balms To Get Rid Of Dry Skin On Feet
This is one of the easiest and fastest natural remedies for dry skin on feet. You can use the Vicks vaporub balm on the cracked heels and let it stay overnight. The results will be surprising and the remedy will offer great relief within a week.
3 Home Remedies For Skin Care In Winter For Dry Skin On Face And Feet
The following 3 home remedies for skin care in winter for dry skin can be used on the face as well as the feet.
10) Coconut Oil And Paraffin Wax Home Remedy For Dry Skin
Paraffin, an emollient, effortlessly binds to the dead skin cells and removes them while adding moisture to the exposed layer for prevention against dryness. Coconut oil adds Vitamin E to the skin that repairs damaged collagen.
How To Make And Use?
- Mix 1 tsp paraffin wax powder with 2 tbsps warm coconut oil.
- Apply on face/feet for 10-15 minutes and rinse with warm water.
- Apply aloe moisturizer to cover the surface.
11) Neem And Honey Home Remedy For Dry Skin
Neem repairs damaged skin cells by killing germs, hydrating shrunken cells, reducing inflammation and itching, and removing dead cells. Honey simultaneously keeps moisturizing the new skin cells.
How To Make And Use?
- Take 8-10 neem leaves and boil them in water.
- Mix 1 tbsp neem water with 1 tsp honey and massage the dry skin with it for 15-20 minutes each night for best results.
- You can also simply grind neem leaves with some water in a mixer and apply the paste just on the dry patches.
12) Olive Oil And Avocado Home Remedy For Dry Skin
Avocado and olive oil mask for dry skin is 2 times more moisturizing and hydrating than normal winter moisturizers.
How To Make and Use?
- Peel and crush avocado pulp in a mixer with some water.
- Add 1 tsp warm olive oil to 1 tbsp avocado paste, and apply the mixture on the skin.
- Use every morning to rejuvenate your dry skin entirely within a week.
3 Things To Consider When Using Home Remedies For Dry Skin On Face
Dry skin home remedies are certainly the safest ways to get rid of dryness and fine lines. But there are a few things that you must consider for your own good while using any remedy on the face.
- Do not scrub dry skin if it has developed deep cracks already. Gentle exfoliation is recommended only while using home remedies for dry skin on face in summer. This is because the skin in summers is not as dry as it is in winters.
- Do not apply strong astringents like vinegar and salicylic acid on the face without diluting them. Besides, these are both natural skin remedies to get rid of dry skin patches on oily skin.
- Discontinue any remedy that makes use of lemon juice if you feel itching and stinging sensations that prolong even after washing the mask. Apply ice on the affected area immediately.
Home remedies for dry skin are effective in most cases, as long as you use them religiously. Also, lifestyle changes make them more effective. Thus, try to incorporate the following tips when using dry skin remedies for long-lasting results.
- Drink a lot of water so that your body stays hydrated at all times.
- Do not use soapy products on the face. Instead, use ammonia and paraben-free face washes.
- Stop eating oily and deep fried junk food since it constipates the stomach and absorbs water from the body, leaving the skin dry.
Now that you know everything about the benefits and precautions of home remedies for dry skin, you must be having some questions to ask and some views to share. Be a part of the discussion and leave your feedback on the best dry skin remedies that you have ever used.