Not even 30 and yet have grey hair? Well, you aren’t alone. A lot of women suffer from the same ordeal of grey hair formation. Premature hair aging sometimes even hit young girls in their late teen years. Premature grey hair at such a young age is quite embarrassing.
But there are some wonderful natural ways to stop grey hair from coming back.
But before you learn how to stop gray hair, it is necessary to understand what causes grey hair?
What causes grey hair?Well, this is primarily the most haunting question that women usually do not have an answer to. And to learn how to reverse grey hair, you need to first find out what causes grey hair.
- Excessive exposure to heat while styling hair is one of the biggest reason behind premature grey hair.
- Smoking and pollution expose hair to free radicals that make cells old.
- Chemically treating hair, again and again, loosens hair roots and keeps them deprived of necessary vitamins for grey hair reversal.
- Dying hair with chemical based hair products damage hair quality and leads to hair aging.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B12 and Vitamin H.
- Washing hair with hot water.
- Lack of sleep and physical exercises.
- Health disorders like diabetes mellitus. Sometimes premature hair greying is also genetic.
- Washing hair too frequently or using alcohol-based hair products.
These are some primary reasons that cause hair greying.
Now we will introduce you to 13 amazing home remedies that will help you to get rid of grey hair completely.
How to make grey hair black at home?
The below-listed home remedy works best to turn grey hair into black at home
1) Henna hair dye for grey hair
Henna, as we know, is a beautiful and natural colouring agent. It can easily turn grey hair into black without damaging your tresses.
How to make and use henna for hair colouring?
- Take 1 tbsp henna powder in a bowl and add 1 tsp curd to it.
- Beat the paste while adding warm water to the mixture to avoid the formation of dallops.
- Add some mustard seed oil to the paste and mix well until you get a semi-liquid consistency.
- Section your hair with a wide tooth comb. Use a hair colouring brush and start applying henna hair dye starting from the roots, running all the way down to hair tips.
- Wash with lukewarm water after an hour.
- You can also add a whole egg to the henna hair dye to stop grey hair from coming back.
Since curd eliminates dandruff naturally, it adds more value to henna hair dye. Mustard seed oil makes hair lustrous and shiny.
How to reverse grey hair naturally?
While there are multiple natural treatments to stop grey hair, but the question of prominent importance is, can grey hair be reversed?
And just to give you a breather, the answer is yes.
We have compiled a list of 4 home remedies that can reverse grey hair naturally at home.
2) Hibiscus, yogurt and coconut oil for grey hair
Hibiscus is a natural cure for grey hair because it is infused with Vitamin C in huge amounts. Vitamin C is an essential antioxidant that can clear dandruff and sebum.
You can also use hibiscus flower for hair since it is bundled with amino acids that activate collagen – a natural protein that triggers the formation of new hair follicles that replace grey hair strands with healthy black hair.
Steps to make hibiscus hair mask for grey hair
- Take 8 to 10 petals of hibiscus flower.
- Grind hibiscus flower petals in a mortar to form a fine paste. Heat 1 tsp coconut oil on flame while adding the paste to it.
- Once hibiscus hair oil that you just made cools down, add 1 tsp yogurt to it.
- Apply the mask evenly and wash after 1 hour.
- Use three times a week to stop grey hair from coming back within a month.
Coconut oil nourishes hair roots and makes them stronger. Yogurt simultaneously works against dandruff and promotes the formation of new hair follicles.
3) Indian gooseberry for hair
Indian gooseberry or amla as you may call it is one of the best home remedies to prevent gray hair. All you need is amla powder or Indian gooseberry paste, honey and lime.
How to make?
- Take about 1 tsp amla powder in a bowl.
- You can also grind amla in a mixer to make a paste.
- And 1 tbsp fresh lime juice and 1 tsp honey with amla powder/paste to make amla hair mask for grey hair.
- Dilute it with water to get a runny consistency.
- Wash your scalp before you apply the amla hair mask.
- Start applying and cover your hair from roots to tips.
- Keep the mask on for 40 minutes and wash with tap water.
Use this hair pack for grey hair reversal twice a week to see the results in 2 months.
4) Lime juice to reverse grey hair to black naturally
How to use lemon juice for gray hair treatment?
- Mix fresh lime juice with warm almond oil in equal proportions.
- Massage on clean scalp that’s dry.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes before you wash it off with normal tap water.
- Use a keratin-rich hair serum while your hair is still moist.
Lemon juice contains ascorbic acid that prevents gray hair formation by increasing the formation of new hair follicles that give birth to black hair strands.
5) Black tea, coconut oil, and curd to prevent gray hair
Black tea can make white hair black easily. Just like all herbal teas, it is rich in cell repairing antioxidants that produce new hair strands.
How to make?
- Take 2 tbsp warm black tea in a bowl. Add half a spoon curd and 1 tsp coconut oil in the bowl. Beat the ingredients to form a liquid paste. If it’s too runny, add fenugreek powder to it.
- Apply on the freshly cleaned scalp. Allow the scalp to soak the liquid at least for an hour.
- Wash with tap water. Do not use a shampoo. Directly use a soap-free hair conditioner.
- Use once a week.
Coconut oil restores the pH level of the scalp that reduces gray hair formation. Curd removes dandruff and free radicals. Black tea works on the root level, increasing the formation of new hair follicles that eliminate grey hair.
How to stop grey hair naturally?
Reversing grey hair is one thing, and stopping grey hair from coming back is another thing. We have listed 2 home remedies below that will prevent gray hair from coming back.
6) Grey hair treatment with green tea
Green tea contains a bundle of powerful antioxidants including catechins. Catechins make collagen hyperactive by increasing body metabolism. It results in the production of new hair follicles.
Green tea hair mask
- Add 1 tsp sesame seed powder and 2 tsp lime juice in half a cup warm green tea.
- Stir to make a semi-liquid paste.
- Apply the mixture on the clean scalp while it’s still warm.
- Wash with lukewarm water after 40 minutes.
- Cover your hair – without twisting or folding them – with a moist towel.
- Use 3 times a week at night.
Sesame seeds are power punched with Omega-3, Omega-6, and Omega-9 fatty acids. These fatty acids produce new hair strands. Lime juice and green tea are powerhouses containing antioxidants that kill all free radicals and make hair black.
7) Carrot juice and lime juice for premature gray hair
Mix fresh lime juice and fresh carrot juice in equal proportions. Refrigerate the mixture till it’s cooled down. Massage the cool solution on your scalp. Wash with tap water. Use 3-4 times a week.
Lime juice is an astringent that clears stubborn dandruff – a major reason behind hair greying at a young age. Carrot juice contains Vitamins A and E. These vitamins increase oxygen level that shoots up the formation of new hair strands that exchange places with prematurely gray hair strands.??
Alternate tips on how to get rid of grey hair
The simple alternate ways that we are about to mention are quite effective against gray hair caused due to smoking, drinking, and unhealthy eating.
8) Eat Vitamin B-12 rich foods to stop grey hair
Vitamins B12 is the most important of all vitamins for grey hair reversal.
It is so effective in stopping gray hair because it works on the DNA level. It increases the number of red blood cells that protect DNA against oxidative damage. This makes cell membranes stronger and grey hair black.
The best Vitamin B12 rich foods include eggs, spinach, fennel seeds, carrot, and fish.
Sounds boring? But it’s true.
Meditation relaxes your mind and body that reduces toxins. Thus, it is super effective against stress – leading campaigner resulting in premature grey hair.
In fact, all breathing exercises can prevent grey hair.
10) Biotin to avoid grey hair
Have you been a thinking about how to prevent grey hair before they occur? Well, simply eat biotin-rich foods and use biotin rich hair products to serve the purpose.
Biotin is the rare ?Vitamin H? that’s the most neglected vitamin of all. But in reality, it’s deficiency – as rare as it may sound – is harmful. Many clinical pieces of research indicate that deficiency of vitamin H leads to oxidative damage that makes hair gray.
11) Rinse your hair with green tea
Yes, green tea hair rinse is an amazing way to stop grey hair formation at a young age. Green tea contains antioxidants like polyphenols and catechins. These antioxidants make collagen healthy and remove hair damaging free radicals that reverse grey hair formation.
Simply wash your hair with warm green tea three times a week to see the results.
12) Hair oiling to prevent grey hair
And in the end, it always comes down to the basics- yes, oil your hair. It’s the most natural way to stop grey hair by keeping your scalp dandruff free.
Use a mixture of different oils that contain Vitamin E. Vitamin E is good for cells and is a moisturiser as well. It kills free radicals and other pollutants that are major reasons behind the formation of premature grey hair.
13) Don’t use chemical based hair products
Hair products that contain mineral oil, alcohol, and sodium lauryl sulfate damage hair roots and make hair weak. They irritate the scalp that makes collagen dormant. It leads to premature grey hair formation.
Remember, stopping grey hair is not a one-time affair, it’s a matter of lifestyle. You need to eat healthily and exercise frequently in order to keep your hair black naturally.
Our last words of wisdom? Do not expect to see results within a day. It takes time and effort to reverse grey hair. Keep using the natural home remedies to stop gray hair for at least a week to notice the changes.
Do let us know in the comments section if you found our guide to reduce grey hair at home helpful.