Red Lips are the most sensual and tempting asset of a woman’s beauty. But unkempt and uncared for, lips become dark and chapped, and they also start peeling. They not just look badly dehydrated and dry, they may also hurt. While there’s not much that can be done to alter genes, but there is still a bundle of natural ways that can help in making your lips red- or as less pigmented as possible- easily at home.
And getting rid of dark lips is never tedious anymore. You just have to pick all right ingredients from your kitchen and start working your lips. Simple ingredients like beets, rose water and glycerin can lighten dark lips naturally, without the need for any artificial chemical based products.
So, here is a list of 14 amazing home remedies for red lips that is sure to lighten dark lips and make your lips soft and moist like never before.
4 Home Remedies to Remove Black Lips
It is easy to keep lips healthy by pampering them with natural kitchen ingredients. The 4 home remedies we have listed below are best treatments for turning black lips to pink.
1) Almond oil for natural pink lips
Almond oil for lips is a miracle ingredient given by nature. Almond oil when applied on lips regularly, nourishes your dry and chapped lips, making them moist and supple. Warm almond oil massage on lips is one of the best ways to get rid of dark lips in the healthiest way possible.
You can also mix almond oil with Shea butter for repairing dry and chapped lips.
2) Lemon and sugar for soft pink lips
This home remedy is especially for women with older looking pigmented lips. It can also repair lips damaged by smoking.
How to Make?
- Mix ? tsp sugar with ? tsp fresh lemon juice.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Apply on clean lips. Put it on for 5 minutes; and then, gently massage your lips with it for next 5 minutes.
- Wash away with cold water. Apply ice if there’s any stinging sensation left.
- Immediately cover your lips with an SPF based lip balm.
Sugar and lemon will melt dead lip cells because they are natural exfoliators and bleaching agents that lighten dark lips and make them pink and plump.
Caution: Do not use on cracked and peeling lips. Use only if your lips have darkened, without any signs of visible peeling. If used on cracks, it will further damage your lip surface.
3) Rose water, green tea, and coffee for rosy lips
One of the most natural ways to make your lips rosy red at home is using a homemade lip paste made with rose water, green tea, and coffee. It will take care of lips darkening caused by smoking.
How to Make?
- Take ? tsp coffee and add a few drops of rose water and green tea in it.
- Mix the ingredients to form a semi-liquid paste.
- Apply on ice on your lips for a minute or two.
- Start massaging the paste on wet lips. Wash with cold water after 5 minutes. Then, re-apply the paste.
- Let the paste sit on your lips for at least 15 more minutes.
- Wash with tap water.
- Cover with cocoa butter rich lip balm for maximum protection.
Green tea will attack free radicals caused by smoking and stress. Coffee will reduce pigmentation. Rosewater will hydrate dry lips.
4) Glycerin, oats, lemon juice and Shea butter for healthy pink lips
Lip darkening can also be genetic. So, this home remedy for dark lips will help women with hereditary pigmented lips. When used daily, glycerin can lighten dark lips and make them pink fast.
How to Make?
- Soak oats in lukewarm water overnight.
- Grind them in a mixer to form a very smooth paste the next morning.
- Add few drops of glycerin and lemon juice in ? tsp oat paste.
- Melt some Shea butter and mix it with the paste from the step mentioned above.
- Apply on your lips and let it sit for a while- about 8 to 10 minutes. Wash with tap water. Use two to three times a day.
- It’s best that you use this paste before bedtime daily.
Shea butter will protect lips against extreme weather changes. Oats will hydrate chapped lips. Lemon will bleach dark lips. And glycerin will repair cracks and make lips pink and healthy.
It’s also advised to wear a high SPF lip balm to protect lips from darkening due to UV rays.
3 Amazing Home Remedies for Red Lips
5) Honey, sugar and milk cream to remove dark lips
No one wants lips that are chapped and black. Every woman dreams of desirable rosy red lips. And one of the best ways to lighten dark lips permanently at home is using a homemade exfoliating lip balm.
How to Make?
- Mix 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp milk cream in a bowl. Add a few drops of honey to the solution to form a runny paste.
- Apply a thin coat of the paste on your lips and massage them.
- Re-apply another layer after massaging for a couple of minutes. Let it put for the next 10 minutes.
- Wear it off with tap water while massaging it.
Apply this homemade lip scrubber 4 times a day for 1 week to get natural red lips easily at home.
Milk cream and sugar will naturally lighten pigmented lips. And honey will repair cracks and rejuvenate dry lips cells.
6) Milk, rose petals, colourless henna, and beetroot for healthy red lips
This is a show-stealing home remedy to lighten dark lips permanently at home. It miraculously reduces melanin secretion that’s triggered due to sun exposure and smoking.
How to Make?
- Add rose petals, few slices of beetroot and some milk in a mixer, and grind them to form a runny paste.
- Add colourless henna to the mixture in such proportion that the paste stays semi-liquid.
- Apply on lips and keep massaging them for good 5 minutes before washing it off with tap water.
This magnanimous homemade moisturising lip scrubber contains beetroot that has the power to lighten dark lips permanently.
Milk is rich in lactic acid used for bleaching dark lips. Colourless henna is a cooling agent that calms down inflammation. Rose petals hydrate dry lip skin. Beetroot has betanin – a natural enzyme that makes lips red.
7) Beetroot for rosy red lips
Beetroot is a red fruit that can make dark lips rosy red. You can use it in a number of ways listed below.
- You can simply rub a slice of beetroot that will add natural red colour to your lips.
Beetroot lip stain for natural pink lips
- Wash the beetroot and remove its peel.
- Cut the peeled beetroot into small cubes and grind them in a mixer.
- Add few drops of almond oil to the beetroot juice and apply on dark lips 4 times a day for 3 weeks.
Beetroot lip stain is easy to make and is an amazing home remedy for getting natural pink lips within a week.
4 Home Remedies to Make Black Lips Red
8) Orange peel scrubber for lips
Orange peel has ascorbic acid that works as a bleach to reduce pigmentation. When used on a regular basis, it makes black lips red, plump and soft.
9) Tomato and cucumber for natural red lips
Applying homemade tomato and cucumber paste on black lips can make them red.
How to Make?
- Crush a tomato and few slices of cucumber in a mixer to make a puree.
- Refrigerate the puree for at least half an hour.
- Apply on lips and keep massaging them for 5-10 minutes. Rinse with normal tap water.
- Use at least twice a day- morning and night.
The results are super fast. You’ll start noticing that your lips will change colour from black to red within 15 days of regular use.
Tomato contains Vitamin C that’s an antioxidant, astringent and a bleaching agent. It can clear the darkest of pigmentation. Cucumber splashes life within dry lip cells and keeps them soft.
In fact, adding almond oil to this mixture makes a wonderful home remedy to keep lips red during the winter season.
10) Aloe vera and honey for healthy lips
Aloe vera gel and honey are the best natural ingredients to lighten dark lips. You can naturally make aloe vera and honey exfoliating lip scrubber at home to make black lips red and soft.
How to Make?
- Scoop some aloe vera gel from aloe vera stem.
- Now add the gel and a few drops of honey in a mixer. Grind it till the gel gets perfectly mashed.
- Directly apply on lips and let it stay for 5-10 minutes. Keep massaging the lips with your fingers from time to time.
- Wash with cold water and cover your lips right after with Vaseline jelly.
Aloe vera and honey work like magic on black and brown lips by bleaching them. Just add some coconut oil and almond oil to the paste to take care of super chapped and flaky lips that need a little extra pampering.
11) Turmeric and lemon juice for pink lips
You might have heard and used this home remedy to lighten your facial skin. But, you can also use turmeric to make your lips pink and red. Simply mix a pinch of turmeric with fresh lemon juice and massage it on your lips once every day.
Turmeric and lemon juice, both are bleaching agents and contain antioxidants that lighten black lips.
Caution: Do not use on extra chapped lips that are flaking. It can sting and further irritate your lips.
Homemade Lip Balm for Red Lips
12) Honey, milk, saffron and beetroot lip balm
This simple homemade lip balm will make your lips red and soft.
How to Make?
- Soak a few strands of saffron in milk overnight.
- Warm saffron milk on flame the next morning till saffron strands melt. Once cooled down, add a few drops of honey and 1 tsp fresh carrot juice in it.
- Refrigerate the mixture.
- Keep applying it on clean lips throughout the day for making black lips red.
Saffron is a fairness agent. Thus, it turns black lips to pink lips by reducing melanin formation. Milk has lactic acid that is a strong bleach. Honey has antioxidants that flush free radicals. And carrot juice has Vitamin A that increases blood circulation, making lips naturally red.
Alternate Beauty Tips for Natural Red Lips
Other than the homemade scrubbers, pastes and lip balms that we have listed above, you might also like our alternate beauty tips for lips red, listed below.
13) Scrub your lips with a brush
Dry brushing lip surface with a soft bristle toothbrush scrubs away all dead cells and increases blood circulation throughout the lips. This makes lips naturally red at home.
Caution: Do not brush the lips too hard and for too long. Also, use this beauty tip for lips only when you are running short on time. Remember, this is just a summer and monsoon beauty tip to get red lips. Do not try it in the winter season.
14) Quit smoking
As simple as it goes, give up on all unhealthy habits that make lips dark. For one, quit smoking completely. Also, stop with your habit of biting down on your lips with your teeth.
The above listed 14 ways of making lips red are super effective ways that do not require a lot of effort or money.
Let us know which beauty tip for red lips worked best for you in the comments section down below.