Not necessarily a health hazard, but dark underarms are surely one of the most dreaded beauty hazards that keep women worried. While there are various home remedies to whiten armpits, but before shuffling through the solutions, it’s necessary to find out what causes dark underarms.
Causes of Dark Underarms
- Using alcohol and chemical based perfumes and deodorizers.
- Using soap for cleansing.
- Frequent use of chemically loaded hair removal creams.
- Shaving hair in the wrong direction.
- Rubbing the surface harshly often.
- Rarely, medical conditions like diabetes and hormonal imbalance.
And now that you know what causes dark underarms, find out how to lighten dark armpits with the home remedies for dark underarms that we have listed below.
How to Whiten Underarms at Home?
1) Lemon and baking soda for dark underarms
Lemon is a wonderful bleach and baking soda is a natural exfoliator.
How to make?
- Take about 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice in a bowl and add 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp peppermint oil in it.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Apply on clean underarms and wash with cold water after 15 minutes.
- Use twice a day for 30 days to whiten black armpits easily.
- Apply aloe gel to subside tingling, if any.
Lemon removes tan and pigmentation on a daily basis. Peppermint oil cools down the tingling sensation caused by lemon. And baking soda removes dark and dead armpit cells and reduce melanin formation.
2) Baking powder for underarms whitening
Baking powder is one of the best remedies for removing black underarms. It can be used with sandalwood powder, yogurt and turmeric to whiten black armpits.
How to make?
- Take 2 tsp yogurt, ? tsp sandalwood powder and 1 tsp baking powder in a bowl and beat the mixture.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to the paste and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Clean your underarms with water and rub lemon on them for 2-3 minutes and apply the paste immediately.
- Wash after 15 minutes. Apply ice to subside tingling, if any.
- Use twice every day for 15 days to whiten dark armpits.
It is effective to use baking powder for underarm whitening, because baking powder is an exfoliator, bleaching agent as well as an antioxidant. Sandalwood powder is a fairness agent and yogurt is a bleaching agent as well.
3) Potato for dark underarms
Potato is a powerful remedy for dark underarms, because it has antioxidants and powerful vitamins that lend it a strong bleaching capacity.
How to use?
- You can use a cold slice of potato and massage your underarms with it daily for 15 days.
- You can mix fresh potato juice with a pinch of turmeric and raw milk, and apply the juice on your black armpits as often as you want for a month.
Potato is the best substitute for lemon as a natural bleach for people with sensitive skin. Its regular use can whiten underarms and make them bright as well.
How to Remove Dark Underarms at Home?
4) Tomatoes and cucumber for black armpits
Tomatoes and cucumber can be used to make a cleansing and whitening scrub for dark underarms.
How to make and use?
- Mash a tomato and few slices of cucumber in a mixer to make a puree.
- Add 1 tsp sugar to 1 tbsp puree and apply on clean underarms.
- Wash after 20 minutes and use thrice each day for 15 days to lighten dark armpits.
Tomato is the best natural remedy to bleach underarms at home, because it contains whitening enzymes, and cucumber can be used to whiten black armpits, because it has powerful enzymes that can clean armpits.
5)? Tea tree oil for black armpits
Tea tree oil is a wonderful underarm whitening home remedy that gives fast results.
How to use?
- Take ? tsp curd in a bowl and add 7-8 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Apply three times a day on black armpits for a week to witness visible results.
- After washing it with tap water in 15 minutes, apply aloe vera gel for freshness.
Curd and tea tree oil are safe underarms whitening home remedies, because they do not cause irritation or inflammation even when applied on inflamed armpits.
How to Bleach Underarms at Home?
If you want to safely bleach underarms at home – without using chemical-based products – follow the 2 underarm whitening home remedies we have listed below.
6) Apple cider vinegar to bleach underarms
A powerful natural bleaching agent, apple cider vinegar, is also an alternate remedy to clean underarms.
How to use?
- Take 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and add ? tsp baking soda in it.
- Add a pinch of turmeric and few drops of almond oil to the mixture and apply on black armpits.
- Wash after 10 minutes and massage ice to reduce tingling, if any.
- Cover the area with aloe vera gel for coolness and to reduce inflammation.
- Use four times in a week for a month to get rid of dark underarms.
Acids in apple cider vinegar bleach the pigmented armpits, showing visible results from the first use itself. Turmeric and baking soda kill bacteria and also exfoliate the dry black cells. Almond oil that contains vitamin E makes cells plump and soft.
7) Multani mitti and ginger juice for fair underarms
Multani mitti and ginger juice make an amazing natural bleaching paste that can get rid of dark underarms within a month of continuous use.
How to make and use?
- Take a flake of ginger and grind it in a mixer with some rose water to make ginger juice.
- Take 1 tsp multani mitti in a bowl and add 2-3 tbsp ginger juice to it in order to make a thin bleaching paste.
- Apply on dark armpits and wash after 15-20 minutes.
- Use once everyday.
Multani mitti is a natural fairness agent that makes dark underarms fair, and ginger contains acidic enzymes including gingerol. Gingerol is a strong bleach that reduces melanin secretion, making underarms fair.
How to Clean Underarms and Make Them Fair?
Here are 2 amazing home remedies that clean black underarms and make them fair.
8) Pumice stone scrubbing for dark underarms
A pumice stone can be used to gently scrub dark underarms, without disturbing the skin pH. Simply wet your underarms and massage them with a pumice stone to properly clean them. Cover with aloe vera gel.
Use thrice a week to keep underarms clean and fresh.
9) Aloe vera and gram flour scrub to clean armpits
Aloe vera and gram flour can be used as an underarm whitening scrub to keep underarms clean.
How to make and use?
- Scoop 1 tsp aloe vera gel and mix it with 1 tsp gram flour.
- Add rose water and clove oil to the mixture and grind in a mixer to form a paste.
- Apply the underarm whitening scrub and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Use tap water to wash it while massaging it on the underarms for 5 minutes.
- Apply every alternate day to make dark underarms clean and fair.
Aloe vera and clove oil kill all bacteria caused due to excessive sweating. Gram flour lightens pigmented area and rose water keeps cells hydrated.
Tips to Whiten Dark Underarms
10) Orange juice and oats to whiten black armpits
Orange juice and oats can be used to make an underarms whitening scrub that shows results overnight.
- Boil steel cut oats in water or milk, and grind them in a mixer to form a paste.
- Mix 1 tbsp oatmeal paste with 2 tsp fresh orange juice and apply the paste on your underarms.
- Wash with tap water after 20 minutes.
Vitamin C in orange juice and antioxidants in oats bleach dark armpits and makes dry cells plump and hydrated.
In the end, it’s all about finding the right ingredients and using them correctly.
And the above listed 10 home remedies to get rid of dark underarms are some of the most effective remedies for underarms whitening.
Pick any one of the remedies we have exclusively listed to whiten armpits naturally. And, do let us know in the comments section which remedy was the most effective of all.