Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a well-known spice that is used in cooking and treating several body ailments. For South Asians, no curry is a curry without the spice turmeric, not only for its aromatic quality but for tons of medicinal qualities that it has. All of us would be familiar with turmeric, but Curcumin is not much heard of. Many are in fact confused whether turmeric and Curcumin are the same or two different herbs. The spice turmeric contains a bioactive substance called Curcumin. So Curcumin is no separate herb but at the same time turmeric and Curcumin are?not? the same. Turmeric is a spice and Curcumin is a substance within turmeric.
All of us should be aware of turmeric?s medicinal qualities such as cancer-preventing, treating skin diseases etc, but it?s this bioactive substance Curcumin that bears the credit for all the medicinal values. When taken in high dosages, it has its own side effects. It?s not only with Curcumin or turmeric, but anything that goes beyond its limit becomes hazardous.
- Curcumin prevents any kind inflammation in the body since it is highly anti-inflammatory.
- Inflammations that begin in a low level might get transformed into chronic diseases when untreated. So Curcumin, an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant agent prevents inflammation thereby reducing the risk factors of several chronic diseases.
- Antioxidants play an incredible role in protecting your body from free radicals and turmeric which is an anti-oxidant by nature increases the anti-oxidant capacity of your body and thus paves a way for a healthy lifestyle.
- Curcumin and turmeric are not prescribed as medicines rather they supplement that prevent the diseases from worsening.
- Studies show that Curcumin reverse the stages in many degenerative diseases.
- Brain- Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) is a type of growth hormone very important for brain functions. Turmeric increases the level of this hormone in your body. This growth hormone helps cure various brain-related abnormalities like depression, Alzheimer?s and the like.
- Curcumin is also used as an anti-depressant.
- Turmeric cures various skin related diseases like rashes, allergies, psoriasis and for ages it has been used to heal several types of wounds.
- Turmeric also heals stomach ulcers and protects Pancreas beta cells from inflammation and oxidation. As a result, it offers protection against type-2 diabetes.
- It is also said that Curcumin reduces the lesions in the colon of men.
- Curcumin prevents normal cells from transforming into tumor cells and also prevents their multiplication.
- Curcumin mutates the cancer cells thus preventing them from spreading into your body.
- Protein synthesis is very influential in the formation of cancer cells. The bioactive substance Curcumin stops this protein synthesis and decreases the number of cancer cells from being formed.
- Endothelium dysfunction is the main cause for major heart diseases. Curcumin is said to improve the function of endothelium and so it is very good for heart patients. Research has shown that Curcumin reduces 65% of risk factors related to heart diseases.
- Studies also prove that Curcumin helps cure arthritis.
- It?s a must that you consult your physician before consuming turmeric or Curcumin supplements. Turmeric powder is only added in correct dosages while cooking. But supplements may go overdose. So be careful!
- When consumed in high dosages, turmeric tends to cause stomach ulcers. Only correct dosages can cure ulcers.
- Turmeric is usually used for face packs, but it does not suit people who have very sensitive skin. It has a mild burning sensation that causes rashes or reddening of the skin. But DEW body lotion sandalwood and turmeric body lotion seems to serve a great purpose and relieves you from skin irritation and dry skin problems.
You can buy this body lotion here –>?http://lifestylica.com/out/dew-sandal-wood-turmeric-body-lotion
- If you take either turmeric or Curcumin in high dosages you will end up having vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea.
- People with gallbladder stones should avoid both turmeric and Curcumin. Patients with renal disorders and bleeding problems stay away from both.
- NOTE: Kids and pregnant women should not consume turmeric and Curcumin supplements. It induces bleeding and so pregnant women must stay away from such supplements.
- It is true that Curcumin reduces the growth of tumor cells and stops them from multiplying and spreading to various parts of the body. But the research?has been performed only in labs and tested on animal samples.
- So?a good amount of research has to be performed for human usage. Curcumin has proved to be effective for type 2 diabetes, but that cannot be the final solution.
- When you consume Curcumin separately, it simply gets absorbed by the body and does not have any effects. So it is necessary that you take peppercorns or Bioperine, the only product that is sourced out of piperine to enhance the effect of Curcumin.
- Several Curcumin supplements are available in the market, but it is a must that you inform your physicians especially before surgery. Supplements come in the form of capsules.
- Curcumin prevents or reduces blood from clotting. So it is not advisable to take such supplements before surgery.
Too much of anything is good for nothing! So it is better you request your doctor to guide you with the correct amount of dosages while consuming such supplements.
If you liked this article on turmeric and curcumin, you should also read about the amazing health benefits of turmeric milk.