There’s nothing worse than dealing with the trouble, irritation, and embarrassment caused by itching, especially when surrounded by people in public places. We understand the gravity of the uneasiness it causes; and thus, the value of quick and effective home remedies for itching. In most cases, itchy skin is not a serious health concern, but it still demands attention. Also, before cure, you should be aware of the preventions. And only if you know what causes itching that you’ll be able to prevent it in the first hand. In order to learn about the best home remedies for itchy skin, read through our guide that also makes mention of some of the most common causes of skin itching.
What Causes Itching?
The most common causes of itching that can mostly be prevented are listed below.
- Excessive sweating
- Improper hygiene
- Insect bites
- Skin allergies
- Chemically-loaded cosmetics
- Acne induced inflammation
- Skin disorders like eczema and psoriasis
How To Prevent Skin Itching?
If you follow the few tips we have listed below, you might not have to deal with the itching discomfort for the better good.
- Take bath after your workout sessions
- Use antiseptic and antibacterial shower gel at least once a week
- Always moisturize your skin after bathing with moisturizers that contain cooling agents like aloe vera
- Wear less makeup and drink a lot of water
- Do not expose your skin to direct sunlight
14 Effective Home Remedies For Itching
Itching is quite common and has a tendency to recur. Thankfully, there is a bundle of very effective natural home remedies for itching. The best ones are listed below.
3 Home Remedies For Jock Itch
Jock itch in and around the genitals is extremely uncomfortable. It can lead to inflammation, rashes, and infection due to constant scratching. It can also be a result of the following factors.
- Poor hygiene and moist genitals
- Abrasive and cheaply dyed underwears
- Fungal and bacterial infections
- Severe discharge
No matter what the reason is, there are some wonderful jock itch home remedies that you must try for lasting relief.
1) Basil Leaves For Severe Jock Itching
Great basil leaves are bundled with the goodness of Vitamin A, C, and b-6, and minerals like sodium and magnesium. These vitamins and minerals have antifungal and anti-inflammatory benefits that make basil leaves a powerful jock itch home remedy.
How To Treat Jock Itch With Basil Leaves?
There are 2 recommended ways of using basil leaves to cure jock itching.
- Add 10-12 basil leaves in boiling water. Once the hot water becomes comfortable, sit in the tub for 30 minutes two times a day.
- Grind 5-6 basil leaves with some water in a mixer to form a thin paste. Apply the paste around the genitals, directly over the rashes. Wash with warm water after 30 minutes. Use two times a day.
2) Apple Cider Vinegar For Irritation
Apple cider vinegar is medically known for its capability of treating skin infections by killing bacteria and fungus from the skin surface. There are a number of ways in which you can use apple cider vinegar as a home remedy for jock itching. The best two are listed below.
- Use a cotton ball to directly apply apple cider vinegar over the rashes. This is the fastest jock itch home remedy to cure jock itching. However, applying apple cider vinegar directly on the itchy surface can be uncomfortable and cause a burning sensation.
- For people with extra sensitive skin, it is wise to use apple cider vinegar in combination with rose water and peppermint oil. Rose water and peppermint oil cool down the burning sensation while apple cider vinegar does its job.
3) Coconut Oil And Tea Tree Oil
This jock itch home remedy can cure mild to severe itching. Whilst tea tree oil disinfects the area by killing fungus and bacteria, coconut oil calms down the inflamed cells. Thus, this remedy does not just reduce itching, it cures it.
How To Use Coconut Oil and Tea Tree Oil To Cure Jock Itch?
The steps are simple and encapsulated below.
- Mix tea tree oil and coconut oil in equal proportions.
- Wash the affected area and apply the solution on the rashes.
- Massage properly and leave it overnight.
- Use every day to get rid of jock itching within a week.
2 Home Remedies For Vaginal Itching
Vaginal itching can be an outcome of excessive discharge. A couple of other reasons worth a mention are given below.
- Rashes by sanitary napkins
- Improper hygiene
- Vaginal fungal infection
- Urinary tract infection
If you experience severe itching accompanied by a strong and sudden urge to pee, again and again, you certainly need a doctor. Otherwise, the 3 home remedies for vaginal itching unfolded below is enough to get rid of the bad odor, itching, soreness, and inflammation.
4) Yogurt and Coconut Oil For Bad Odor
Yogurt is one of the best home remedies for itching. It can be used as a powerful home remedy to get rid of vaginal itching when used in combination with coconut oil.
How To Apply?
It is very simple to use and apply this home remedy for vaginal itching. The steps include the following.
- Once you clean your vaginal area, use warm coconut oil to massage the area for 5-10 minutes.
- Apply chilled yogurt all around the vulva and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with tap water. You can also rub ice on the affected area afterward if you experience mild stinging sensation.
5) Turmeric and Green Tea
Green tea and turmeric solution is a fast working home remedy to get rid of vaginal itching within a week.
How To Make and Use?
Green tea, which is one of the most capable home remedies for itchy skin is equally safe to treat itching around the sensitive vaginal area. Green tea is a herbal solution rich in catechins that are antibacterial antioxidants. Thus, a simple green tea wash or sitting in a tub filled with warm green tea is perfect to treat itching inside the vagina. You can also use the home remedy we have listed below.
- Mix 1 tbsp warm green tea and 1 tsp turmeric.
- Apply the solution directly on the area around the vulva after cleaning it.
- Wash after 15 minutes. Use two times a day for fast relief.
6) Tea Tree Oil Solution
Tea Tree oil can be used to make one of the best home remedies for vaginal itching. However, you should immediately take your doctor’s advice in case you experience even slight discomfort.
Check out the best body shop tea tree products!
How to Use Tea Tree Oil To Treat Vaginal Itching?
- Take a clean tampon and pour 3-4 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Once the tampon absorbs the oil, insert it in your vagina. Remove within 15 minutes.
- Use daily for a week, if you feel comfortable, for a reduction in vaginal discharge and bad odor.
2 Home Remedies For Dandruff And Itchy Scalp
Dandruff that causes scalp erosion can also corrupt your hair quality. And the most common causes of dandruff are listed below.
- A dry and dirty scalp
- Fungal infection
- Harsh shampoos
- Nutritional deficiency
Irrespective of the reasons, the below-listed home remedies for dandruff and itchy scalp are so effective that they can also treat other hair problems like hair fall, split ends, premature grey hair, and frizz.
7) Lemon For Dandruff
Lemon is an astringent and antioxidant that contains ascorbic acid. It starts removing dandruff from the first application itself by removing scalp buildup.
How To Use Lemon For Dandruff and Itchy Scalp?
The best way to use lemon for hair is by making a lemon hair mask.
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp honey
- 1 tsp rose water
- 1 tbsp mashed avocado pulp
Steps To Make and Apply Lemon Hair Pack For Dandruff and Scalp Itching
- Mix all the ingredients in the ratio mentioned above. Add distilled water to make a thinner solution.
- Apply on clean scalp and cover all hair strands from roots to tips.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Wash with tap water and apply a herbal conditioner.
More on the wonderful benefits of lemon for face!
8) Yogurt For Scalp Itching
Yogurt is rich in lactic acid that cleans fungus, germs, and dust from the scalp. It reduces dandruff and stops premature hair greying. Since it is safe for all hair types, it is one of the most popular home remedies for dandruff and itchy scalp.
How To Use Yogurt To Reduce Scalp Itching?
The most popular method is simply applying yogurt on the scalp and washing it away with tap water after 40 minutes. However, you can follow the steps we have mentioned below for faster results.
- Mix 1 tsp amla powder and 2 tbsp yogurt in a bowl.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to the mixture and beat well.
- Add more yogurt until you get the desired consistency.
- Apply on clean scalp and wash with tap water after 1 hour.
- Use three times a week for 4 weeks for best results.
2 Home Remedies For Itching During Pregnancy
The 2 itching during pregnancy home remedies listed below is most effective for women in their 3rd trimester.
9) Juniper Oil Massage For Swelling And Belly Itching
Juniper oil massage is one of the best home remedies for itching during pregnancy because juniper is a very strong anti-inflammatory agent. It can treat skin rashes and even infection caused by constant scratching. Needless to say, it reduces pain and swelling too.
The best way to use joiner oil for itching during pregnancy is by mixing it with the ingredients listed below.
- Tea tree oil and coconut oil
How To Make?
- Mix 1 tbsp juniper oil and 1 tsp tea tree oil and coconut oil.
- Heat the mixture of oils in a pan.
- Grind 3-4 cloves and stir them in 1 tsp honey.
- Add the honey and cloves solution in the warm oil mixture in the pan.
- Stir all the ingredients to blend them properly.
- Let the solution cool down and use it two times a day.
10) Ice Pack For Itching During Pregnancy
Ice can reduce the swelling caused by itching during pregnancy. You can use ice packs and press them against the affected area to reduce belly itching. Also, you can soak your legs in ice cold water to reduce itching in the feet.
2 Home Remedies For Eye Itching
It is very simple to cure eye itching at home with the remedies listed below.
11) Rose Water For Eye Itching
Rose water is a cooling agent that reduces eye itching. You should add 1 drop of chilled rose water in each eye every morning and night for 7 days to get rid of eye itching completely.
12) Cucumber For Eye Swelling And Inflammation
Cucumber is one of the best home remedies for itchy eyes that reduces eye inflammation. Rich in Vitamins like Vitamin K, C, and A, and minerals like potassium and manganese, cucumber treats eye itching easily. Simply place a chilled cucumber slice over the eyes and rest for 20 minutes. Massage the under-eye area with aloe vera gel after 20 minutes. Use it as often as you need it.
Alos, check out these amazing cucumber face pack recipes!
2 Home Remedies For Itchy Skin On Face
Face itching is usually not a very severe condition. But when suffering from eczema or psoriasis, home remedies for itching skin are the best long-term solutions.
13) Aloe Vera For Inflammation
Aloe vera is a skin booster than heals dryness induced itching and inflammation. You can simply scoop some fresh gel from aloe stem and apply it on the face to reduce itching. You can also use it with some other ingredients to treat itching caused by skin allergies.
- 5-6 drops of rose water
- A pinch of sandalwood powder
- 2-3 drops of coconut oil
How To Apply?
- Once you mix all the ingredients with 1 tsp cold aloe vera gel, apply the paste directly all over your face.
- Clean with a soft cotton ball after 10-15 minutes.
- Use a light moisturizer to cover the skin.
Remember, this home remedy for itching on skin works better in the summer season.
14) Ginger And Honey For Dryness
Ginger is rich in gingerols that can fend off bacteria and germs from the skin. Honey, on the other hand, moisturizes the dry skin cells, reducing itching and inflammation caused due to dryness.
How To Use Ginger And Honey Home Remedy For Itching?
- Crush some ginger flakes with water in a mixer.
- Filter the juice and mix 1 tsp of it in 1 tsp honey.
- Apply on the face and wash with tap water after 15 minutes.
- Use every alternate day in case of mild itching.
With this, we have come to an end to our guide on home remedies for itchy skin. If you have experienced any improvement in your skin condition after using any of the 14 home remedies for itching we have mentioned, do share your opinion with us in the comment section down below.